Amber Trousers!

Pattern

I am so happy to be reviewing this awesome pattern by Paprika Patterns. It is actually a piece I needed for my wardrobe: a non-fitted pair of paints, for the hot summer. I already had the fabric, and planned on a different simpler pattern but I was happy for the challenge.

I meant to print the print-shop version and I editP1030662ed it with Illustrator to include only size 6 and to save some paper as I was told by an employee in the shop that they use a 105 cm wide paper. So I took the bus, got there, all proud of myself, just to discover they run out of that width. I came home defeated with the A4 version…

My natural waist is 32.5’’ and my hips are 42.5’’ so I chose size 6 and printed it from the 1-7 block. However, my waist is actually 28’’ and I probably needed a size 4 or 5. Yes, I should have made a muslin, I know that now.  But since I got the pattern on Friday morning I stressed myself to finish by Saturday evening and I skipped that important part. Big mistake.  Don’t skip it, and at least fit the yoke. I spent too much time fitting and adjusting the trousers and lost some its shape and parts of the pockets. Conveniently  enough, I printed all sizes and not only size 6 as I planned, and the smaller sizes all contained within the larger ones, so I can just cut it from pattern 6.

P1030680

Other than that part, everything went really smooth. The instructions are clear and indicated exactly where to baste and understitch – I like it that I don’t have to guess or google those small details. Trousers construction can be tricky, but the Amber comes with great illustrations. I would only add pattern piece numbering to them, for even better comprehension. The pattern is great for advanced beginners, as it does not require high sewing level and can teach you some new skills if it is your first time tackling trousers. I for example finally realized how to add the invisible zipper to trousers with a yoke or waistband!

The pattern has some nice details, as the pleats and simple pockets. As advertised (in the instruction) the V-shaped yoke actually does gives a smooth tummy, a problem I encountered with callouts. I was not sure about that feature at first, but it is actually really nice. This pattern also looks great from the back!

P1030667

I can’t wait to make this pattern again, now that I’m older and wiser, and will probably make the muslin pretty soon.

I have received the pattern for free in return for my honest review. I was not compensated  by any other means.

Advertisements

So I’ve been sewing a lot…

Pattern

but just didn’t have the time to blog, and mainly taking pictures.

I finally got a Seamwork subscription, and already tried:  Lisbon ( I think I got the bias cutting all wrong, the back was huge!),  Camden (didn’t get the lining and face to be just right, and I still need to hem and add buttons…),  Wembley (use one of the two every day!) and the  Mesa tunic dress (my new uniform. Well, it was, until it got too hot). I also got the Brooklyn but didn’t get to try yet.

The Mesa is great (made 4 in a month!), but I had to merge a size S, XS and L together to make it fit right. I also made  all of them 1” to 2” longer, and in some case also made the sleeves longer. My favourite it the black version, where I added the  Renfrew top‘s great collar! it is the great hack , combining two great patterns.

Now, it is time for summer planning. The summer in Israel is just around the corner (already had really hot days) and I need to work-appropriate  clothes. Should add: work clothing in Israel, especially where I work, is VERY casual. So it has to be heat and humidity friendly, light, comfortable, and easy to wash… and to match with my other clothes.

I used light viscose and a dressed-hack of my favourite pattern, the Belcarra blouse, to make 3 summer dresses.

 

I also made a  denim sleeveless  Sandra dress, by Salme Patterns. The fabric choice was inspired by Colette’s Phoebe

IMAG0085

Sleeveless Denim Sandra Dress

Instagram